Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Lost in Walla Walla: A Sunday Morning Epic

In my attempts to avoid the freshman fifteen, I try to go on a run 3-4 days a week, usually for about 30 minutes (thats honestly all I have time for... college is insane). So I wake up Sunday morning, pull on my sneakers and tell my roommate that I'll be back in half an hour so we can go to brunch (a beautiful thing at whitman...). It is 10:15am at this point. I generally run in the neighborhood kind of behind my dorm. My brother's house is back there as is a small park. Well until this point I hadn't actually been able to find my brother's house by myself, but this time I was confident. So I follow the directions and head down Alder (this street is important later on) like I had before, then over a few blocks and up a back alleyway and sure enough I see my brother's car! So what if it was the back side of the house, I was still there! It is now like 10:30 and so I continue to the front side of the house, bang on the door to see if anyone's awake (they're not) and continue down Whitman Street (which incidently is not very close to campus). I soon come across the park, but it was a different part than I had seen before (it has an aviary!) And this is where I made my mistake; I started to run in the park. Normally I just run by or around it but no, I decided to run in it. Now I swear I was going the same direction the entire time, but I think the path turned and I didn't notice. So when I got out of the park I was going the entirely wrong direction and at 10:45 (half an hour into my run) I had NO idea where I was. It was definatly nowhere near campus and nowhere I had ever been before. I saw the "mountains" but couldn't remember which direction they where from campus. So I tried to remember the angle of the sun in comparison with my dorm room but since I was turned around that only got me more lost. And then, like a glorious beam of light, I see it! Alder Road, standing there in all its roady glory! As I approach it I realize that I was not familiar with the intersection, but of course I'm like "Hey it's alder! I can get back." So I try the sun/dorm-room trick again (bad idea) to get me going the right way. So I run yadda yadda yadda and then the road ends. Yeah, I was like WAAAAYYYY in the boonies of Walla Walla. It's like 11:15 (an hour after I left) and I finally decide to ask for directions because a) my legs hurt b)i'm hungry and c) my roommate would be worried. I find a woman sitting on her porch (thank goodness) and I start to walk over. After I avoid nearly getting attacked by her two dogs, I ask her how to get back to campus, after which she looks at me in awe and says "Whitman? you've got a ways to go!" And I'm like "oh jeez!" So she gives me directions and I follow them exactly. Her directions take me to the opposite side of campus, but nevertheless at approximatly 11:45 I stumble into my dorm room, exhausted. Of course people were wondering where I was, so I told them the story and soon enough it was all around my hall. On the bright side I was quickly given a map of Walla Walla and a few suggested running routes. And fyi, if you are ever in Walla Walla the mountains are east.

3 comments:

Aimiewith2eyes said...

Haha! Very epic. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm in Walla Walla...

Rianne said...

I'm really jealous of your "mountains-in-the-east" thing. That's just like Anchorage. Here in Boulder, everybody navigates by the mountains, too, except they're in the WEST. So I keep having to mentally shift my perspective 180 degrees.

Liz said...

yep same here, i had the absolute worst time the first two weeks because i was absolutely convinced that my house was the other direction from my school than it was, so every time i got on the bus i had to readjust persepective.