Wednesday, September 10, 2008

It's all Greek to me

Okay so I'm taking four classes, one of which is required.  And out of those four, in three of them we are discussing the same book.  The very first one Richards' ruined for us all those long years ago.  Any guesses? Yup, The Odyssey.  Its amazing how much I know about one book now. I even know how to read and translate parts of the original Greek text. 

 However, this is where the faults of elementary education come into play.  I never learned how to diagram sentences, or most basic grammar rules.  So I have to get special tutoring to learn all of that, which is a must know before learning Greek. I however, get to learn it at the same time.  So I get to feel really, really dumb once a day.

In contrast to that, my history course has nothing on Heuston. The professor will even stop and explain things if you have questions- even if they don't relate to the specific topic.  For instance someone in the class asked what he thought about 300 (this is a Mediterranean course), and he said "There is no documented evidence of any human successfully having a battle rhino."  

My favorite place at Whitman: the human bird bath.  Literally, a big bird bath meant for cooling off sweaty students.  :)

1 comment:

Rianne said...

We're reading the Odyssey as well, in the mandatory Engineering Honors Humanities class. It's a humanities class, just for engineers!