Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Epic Arizona Storm

So, the first week I was here, everyone was talking about how it was monsoon season, which made it humid, but not quite as hot....etc etc etc. And I really had little to no idea of what a monsoon actually was. I mean, I understood the idea in theory...but didn't really understand what it was like to be in one. 

I do now.
  
Its last Thursday and I am walking back from Argentine Tango Club with my CA and all around in the sky we can see lightning, its like a strobe light, constant and crazy. The wind starts to pick up, but no rain comes down. We get back to the dorm without anything too interesting happening, and due to the fact that I had about 40 pages of the Epic of Gilgamesh to read by the next day, I went inside and started to read, I opened the curtains to watch the lightning, and after a while it started to POUR. One of the girls runs past soaked, and the Eric (my CA) immediately heads outside. Of course I follow everyone...and its AMAZING. In Alaska it kinda drizzles, in Arizona it may not rain often, but it rains with enthusiasm. I live in one of nine dorms kinda surrounding a center courtyard, its called Center Complex and I live in Hayden South. The dorms of Center Complex are completely populated by honors kids, so as a whole it tends to be a much quieter area of campus. 

It certainly isn't tonight. Everyone is outside, screaming, laughing, splashing, using the grassy parts as a Slip'n'Slide, playing volleyball in the mudpit of our sand volleyball court. A group of us go up on one of the terraces, we sing shout scream. It is the most fun I've had since coming. Everyone has this incredible camaraderie from the incredible, crazy, amazing storm. 

And wet sand automatically means sand castles right? I'll offer up pictures of Ellie's Evil Obelisk. 

No comments: