Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Furthest Corner

When Alaska scattered, I ended up ten thousand miles away, in a place that looks suspiciously like Fairbanks in parts....that's right, Hagan, Norway. And, like any good exchange student, I spend a lot of time comparing AK and Norway, which is exactly what they tell you not to do. But I can't help it. Anyway, some stuff is scarily similar-- skiing and school social structure and scenery and other esses....
The differences take longer to notice. Obviously, the language, which I expected. But every now and then, something sort of jumps up and hits me in the face. Licorice candy is heavily salted and tastes of ammonia, even when it looks perfectly innocent. It's fashionable to tuck one's pants into one's socks, sometimes with a hairtie wrapped around at the ankle as well, just to make sure the cuff is as tight as possible. (And don't ask me about man-pris!) In Oslo, there are places where drug users can get free needles, because that way at least they can shoot up safely. And they include an excerpt from the Kama Sutra in a textbook of mine...right next to the excerpt from the Bible.
Oh, and I can't count the number of times that I've had to explain that (a) Alaska is not its own country (b) Alaska is not part of Canada (c) There are 50 states now, and AK is one, and (d) Yes, people really live in AK. But I guess it's understandable, because usually they cut most of Alaska off on world maps, because anything west of California and east of Japan really isn't important.
Well, other than that, I'm doing the normal exchange studenty things....getting lost, taking the wrong busses, figuring out the money, speaking broken pidgin norwegian, accidentally mispronouncing words so they sound like norwegian profanity, understanding what the teachers say in class but not wanting to admit it because then I'd actually be expected to do homework....and generally having a good time.
Further bulletins as events warrant.
Liz

1 comment:

Samantha said...

are you really serious about the pants thing? and if so can you provide pictures cause I want to see