Saturday, October 25, 2008

Victory!


My engineering class had to build a truss as our mechanical design project. We were to be graded on the quality of our bridge by taking the ratio of the ammount of force it would hold up (lbs) divided by the weight of the structure (g). We were only allowed to use the wood and glue they provided for us, and we did a lot of designing beforehand. We worked in groups, and my group decided to use my design. Thursday, we tested the bridges, and guess who got the highest ratio out of all the other groups in my professors sections?!?! (And the highest grade for that portion of the project)

Ours totally won with a ratio of about 15! The structure itself was solid. It eventually failed because the glue was so relatively weak.

I think it won because we named it Layla. (That was one of the songs we listened to while building it.)

2 comments:

Samantha said...

I like the name! And the bridge is so pretty! I have always known you were awesome...this just reaffirms my knowledge!

Liz said...

yay! =)
i think some of your bridge building skills rubbed off on me, when we did that in physics this year my group won :)