Thursday, October 16, 2008

Political haikus.

I'm always amused
at the way people ask me
why I'm in Norway.

The teenagers say
with horrified expressions,
'Why leave the US?'

They have all been there--
to New York City to shop,
to the Grand Canyon.

Their America 
is what they see on TV:
rich, pretty, happy.

Adults are different.
Some understand the bubble
that is our border

and know what I mean
with 'it's good to see outside'--
a new perspective. 

But I find it strange
that Norwegians do not see
their little country--

their Labor party
and classless society
(Lennon's 'Imagine')

works out much better
for most of the citizens
than where I am from.

But now I've lived here
enough to see the difference:
people aren't worried

about food or rent
about money for college--
the government helps!

The small changes made--
free health care more than all else
bring them peace of mind. 

I can't help but think
it could be like this at home.
And maybe it can.

And maybe we can!
Vote Obama! ...and also
take with you a friend!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I like it Liz! Good political/social/economic commentary...
With a sense of humor.