Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Old Food Adventures

So a few weeks ago, I was cooking with my mentee for Talent Match, and we somehow managed to royally screw up the brownie recipe that I have made with success approximately fifty-MILLION times...the batter was boiling instead of baking...it was REALLY strange (I was talking to Loni and we think Clarissa must not have put enough flour in). So I promised Clarissa that I would bake a new batch over the weekend and give her some the following Tuesday. With that task in mind...and because a family friend (Debi Clemson) had recently sent me a care package with a ton of muffin mixes, my friend Loni and I went on a baking spree. 

First we made fettucine with parmesan....which I realize is not baking, however we needed dinner as well.

Then we cooked up a SUCCESSFUL batch of brownies...I love truly homemade brownies, they are SO easy and much better than out of the box. We cooked them in a silicon muffin tin because we lacked a pan. These are brownies fairly torn apart due to their deliciousness.

And then we cooked three different kinds of muffin...granted, we were starting from muffin mix, but we didn't want to be boring so we ADDED STUFF! We added a mashed up banana to a banana nut muffin mix (delicious...but not pictured) we swirled lingonberry jam into a blueberry muffin mix, and added coconut to a different blueberry muffin mix. The batter of the lingonberry one was a really interesting pinkish purple color which contrasted strikingly with the neon green bowl we were mixing the batter in. The coconut ones turned out beautifully, we added some extra coconut on the top which toasted nicely...and sprinkled sugar on top which made the muffins sparkle. It was awesome...I was VERY excited and using quite a number of adjectives. I'll post some picture of me sometime...it was fun.
Pretty muffin checkerboard hmm? I was pretty psyched, Allison and Loni were teasing me about my camera-happy-ness. But I bet you all probably could have predicted I would take a few photos.

Your Hayden South ASU Correspondent Signing off...
Samantha <3

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Heehee! I love you Sam! I miss being able to cook stuff... That's what Thanksgiving break is for!
P.S. I want a brownie.

River said...

Samantha, those look delicious. We need to cook things over Christmas break.