Friday, February 4, 2011

Lovely weather we're having for this time of year

The weather today could be easily described in two words : winter squall. In fact, that could explain the weather for the last several days. Let me describe it for you:

  • Wednesday: mostly sunny, but with a cloudburst as I came back from the grocery store, followed by more sun. 
  • Wednesday night: thunder and lightning (yes really). 
  • Thursday morning: Snowing when I get up. Snaining by the time I finish breakfast. Raining on the way to class. Sun by the time I get out an hour later. 
  • Thursday afternoon: Raining lightly (misting, really) when I go to lab. Pouring rain with constant wind and sudden gusts three hours later.
  • Thursday evening: Continuation of the same wind conditions, but now with hail.
  • Friday: Rain and wind. All day. With ferocious gusts out of nowhere.

Exhibit A
 Of course, none of this phases the brave Scots, who simply layer on more wool, and, if it gets really awful, might possibly put on a mackintosh (rain coat). I, on the other hand, huddle inside, drinking copious amounts of tea and praying the windows don't break (yes, it's that windy).  Thank heaven for the fact that almost all the powerlines where I am are buried, or I'd worry about losing power.

In other news, I've decided that tomorrow is probably a bad day to go to the castle...